Made from Cabernet Sauvignon 70%, Merlot 27%, Yama Budou 3%, all from Yamagata.
Cabernet grapes were destemmed, fermented for 3 days on skins, then pressed and continued fermentation for another month in the barrel, before aging for 4 months.
Merlot saw 5% of its whole-bunches retained and put in the base of the amphora, with the remaining 95% destemmed grapes placed on top. After two months of on-skin fermentation, they were pressed and rested on lees for 4 months in amphora, then transferred to stainless steel tank using gravity to undergo another 6 months of maturation.
Yama budou (wild grapes) were de-stemmed and fermented for one month on skins in an open tank. Basket pressed and left to rest on its lees in a resin tank for 6 months before blending with the Cabernet and Merlot assemblage. The final blend saw another 1 year of maturation in the bottle before being released.
Natural yeast / No- filtration / No-sulphites added.
Only 1,114 bottles produced.
What you can expect:
Best enjoyed after 2 hours of decanting. This is immediately captivating on the nose, blending high-toned cassis, spices, smoke and soya. Really appetising and finely etched luminous fruit flavours that repeat the aromatic profile in the mouth. Fabulous sapidity: juicy, fragrant and lovable. This is undeniably exquisite.
About Fattoria Al Fiore Winery | Japan
Fattoria Al Fiore is a small winery located at the base of the Zao Federation mountain range in Kawasaki Town in the Miyagi Prefecture. Hirotaka and Reina Meguro established the winery in 2015 inside a former school gymnasium. What was once home to the sound of bouncing basketballs is now home to amphora filled with Koshu, Delaware, Muscat A Baily and more indigenous varieties.
“Al Fiore” means ‘single flower’ in Japanese and is named after Hirotaka’s former restaurant in Sendai City. Reina and her husband Hirotaka are supported by a small team who help them produce around 15,000 bottles yearly. Each label is dyed using persimmon fruit and numbered by hand.
Reina and Hirotaka source most of their fruit from neighboring regions like Nanyo City, Yamagata Prefecture, Takahata Town, and Yamanashi—home of the Koshu grape—just south of Tokyo. Since 2014 they have been cultivating 1.5 hectares of grapes in the fields of Adachi, Kawasaki Town with the hopes of producing wine purely from their own efforts.
Their wines are made up of both vitis vinifera and vitis labrusca, also known as hybrid grapes. In the hands of Reina and Hirotaka these hybrid varieties like Delaware, Stueben, and Niagara create truly beautiful and unique wines. They are extremely delicate, matching perfectly with the flavors of Japanese cuisine.
They make their wines as naturally as possible and consult with all their growers on sustainable farming practices to create a “living soil” with the belief that coexisting with various plants and creatures rather than monoculture will create a diverse environment. With respect to the hard work of their grape growers, there are no additives used, no fining or filtration in order to create a wine that is a true reflection of where it is from.